September 4, 2009

About this Radio Show

The Key to the Highway show first aired on KKUP Radio in Silicon Valley on Wednesday afternoon, August 29th of 1990 between the hours of two and five PM and has aired since then every second, fourth and fifth Wednesday of each month with rare exceptions, such as when another programmer wished to switch shows with me. It was intended to be a mostly blues-based show and has lived up to that premise perhaps even more than initially intended. Here is the original statement of purpose made before the the show took an official time slot:

KEY TO THE HIGHWAY: A liberal view of the roads travelled by the Blues. While it will include detours into Jazz, R&B, Rock 'n' Roll and the British influence, the main emphasis will be on full band electric urban Blues. This uptempo journey will be mapped out by Don. Heard occasionally on KKUP 91.5 fm.

It also mentioned broadcasting live music, but after a couple of attempts I deemed it too difficult to achieve a sound quality to meet my expectations. This statement was probably issued around May 1st of 1989 when I started doing fill-in until a suitable time slot became available. I bring this up primarily because I have gotten to feel guilty when I stray from the Blues, but an entirely Blues content was never intended. I have always given the Blues a rather wide berth; after all, Chuck Berry didn't say "Roll over Beethoven, dig this Rock 'n' Roll." It has been my pleasure to share the joys of the music I love for more than twenty years and I'll be happy if I can put in another twenty. I have made many friends through the years and would feel a void in my life without its pleasures.

I don't know how this blog will evolve, but initially I would like it to inform you of upcoming shows and gradually add playlists from past shows. I also understand I can learn how to add links to relevant items, perhaps video clips or articles about an artist I might be highlighting. I hope it will also give you the opportunity to comment on the show with suggestions and criticisms, but if there was something you really enjoyed I wouldn't mind hearing that either. So let's get on this new road and see where it takes us. And thanks for your interest.

-- Don Coyle



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us listeners about your blog. Your experience is astoundding. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don nice articles- I was with you on many of those experiences. Please contact me.
    www.stevenshirley.com

    Steve

    ReplyDelete