November 28, 2017


Key to the Highway    
2017-11-29       

Canada 2017 edition                                                                                               
Nigel Mack and the Blues Attack
Harpdog Brown
Powder Blues
*************************
Okay, so here is where I feel like a fourth grader on the first day of school and the teacher wants me to write about what I did last summer, but I don’t mind.  I spent almost two weeks in the town of my birth, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and its vicinity.  I flew up with my son and granddaughter, but they left before I did so I took the train home just in time to do my special Chuck Berry show because he was the player gracing the tee shirt for our oldies marathon, which would begin about ten days later.  My brother flew in from Winnipeg.  His daughter now lives in Vancouver as does my cousin, his wife, two daughters and two grandchildren, so I guess it was a family reunion.

I can’t overstate what a great host my cousin was.  He follows my show on the internet so he was happy to take me to hear a lot of music in the area, beginning with a jam session at Donegal’s on Thursday; a lot of Rock in with some Blues but it was all good Rock that night.  Not so much the next week when there was more of a country set of players and one guy got up twice and played five Led Zeppelin tunes; I hate Led Zep!  They take classic Blues tunes, alter a verse or two and claim authorship.  To be fair, Donegal’s also has jams on Sundays that are more Blues-oriented but our Sundays were already spoken for.  I was turned on to these sessions by Dan Orlando, who was one of the players both Thursdays to play Blues.  Thanks, Dan.

I had met Dan at The Cottage Bistro when I was up in 2014 and my cousin and I went there a couple of times then.  We always get a chuckle thinking back on us having a few beers while my brother had a strawberry milk shake!  Anyway, it was a place I wanted to return to because it was mostly good Blues, and we were able to go my first Saturday in town but they were closed for renovations or something right after that night.

Now, we get to the substance of today’s show.  One thing I wanted to do while there was to scout out venues that KKUP’s own Johnnie Cozmik, a.k.a The J.C. Smith Band, could add to extend his tours to Alberta.  One such place was a weekly summer series of free Sunday R&B concerts at Rocky Point Park in Port Moody where we first saw Nigel Mack and the Blues Attack (Mack sang, played harp and, I believe, guitar backed by drums, bass, another guitar and keyboards), a very good, fairly contemporary styled Blues band.  They had three CDs available and I asked for the one out of print because we might have more recent ones at the station.  (We don’t.)  Most of the disc Road Rage (the part you’ll hear today) was recorded in November 1994 at Vancouver’s Yale Hotel.  Now called the Yale Saloon, the club had been on our radar for their Tuesday night Blues, but now we had to go there for sure, if only to complete the picture.

As you might suspect, the band of Harpdog Brown is a harmonica-centric four piece ensemble with drums, bass and guitar backing.  The band was very enjoyable but, as I was thinking after the first set, they were a bit limited by the fact that the excellent guitar player was a little low key for West Side Chicago Blues of the 60s and 70s which I love so much, guys like Magic Sam, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Luther Allison …  Then, a couple of songs into the second set, they broke into a rollicking version of one of my favorite New Orleans songs, Li’l Liza Jane and, what was I thinking, this is just good Blues in the 50s Chicago style of Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf, so bring it on.

The Dog piqued my curiosity when he mentioned that his current album, Travelin’ with the Blues, was recorded in California.  I thought, hmm, the odds are pretty slim it would be at Kid Andersen’s Greaseland Studios in San Jose but, when I spoke with him, indeed the tracks were laid down there and at Big Jon Atkinson’s Bigtone Records in Hayward, both of whom played at our 2016 Blues Marathon, the same year the disc was released.  It is a very good CD with Dog along with his guitar player Jordie Edmonds and bass player Pat Darcus backed by some excellent Bay Area talent.  Dog’s manager later electronically transferred another album, What It Is, to help me give a strong representation on this show.  I really wish I had completed this article as soon as I got home when it was still all fresh in my mind, but I postponed it and set it aside until now because The Harpdog Brown Band has a gig at Biscuits and Blues in San Francisco next Thursday (December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day) and I wanted to make you guys aware of the band to better decide to head up there.  They should be coming in to Afrikahn Dayvs’ show for an interview Tuesday the 5th (4-6pm) and from there plan to head over to the Poor House Bistro to join in Aki Kumar’s jam session.  Check them out while you have the chance.

It was very much a fun night that came to a bit of an abrupt end.  As I was outside the Yale after the show ended, having a nice little chat with the Dog, a couple came by and warned us that there was a skunk approaching us.  Indeed, we were standing next to a van by the front tires and when I looked down there was the skunk cruising down the gutter just behind the rear tires, a little too close for me.  Without a word, I made a quick exit to the other side of the street and proceeded towards the car a few blocks away.  There’s no telling what those Canadian critters might do!

That was Tuesday, that Thursday was the jam session, and Sunday we made another visit to Port Moody the day before I took the train home, making it music almost every other night (in this case, day) as opposed to maybe once a month recently at home.  This time the band was Powder Blues and, while I can’t recall ever having heard their music before, I was often told by Americans that they were the most famous Canadian Blues Band.  And my brother had very fond remembrances of hearing them often back in their heyday when he was living in Vancouver and going to the University of British Columbia.  Perhaps it was because of high expectations or perhaps I was just getting tired from a full twelve days, but their show was maybe better than mediocre but certainly did not overwhelm me.  Actually, it wasn’t until Monday when I listened again to the tunes I’d picked for today’s show that I realized it must have been Lavin’s voice that disappointed me; it is just too smooth to be a Blues singer’s voice.  Still, I think you’ll find the instrumentation from their CD Let’s Get Loose provides a couple of strong segments in what to me is an excellent encapsulation of my two weeks back home.  My fourth grade teacher might even give it a passing grade.  (She was rough!)

I must say that at Port Moody I was made quite at home.  I have a foot problem and standing long times is not an option, so for the first show I headed toward the stage and stopped by a tent and asked if it was okay if I perched myself on the ground in their shade and, of course, it was.  It turned out to be where the folks running the festival were based and the main man George and his wife Linda, particularly Linda as George was often working around the stage, made me feel as though I fit right in.  The second weekend, my cousin brought me out a chair and I was welcomed there again.  They were just so …. Canadian!  I don’t say this to toot my own horn, but I do remember one time when I was giving some foreign visitors a cab ride to the airport and, upon finding out I am Canadian (still, after living here over sixty years) they responded, “Oh, that’s why you’re so nice.”
*************************
Basing his band, Nigel Mack and the Blues Attack, out of Chicago since 2003, Nigel was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan but brought his ensemble to prominence while he was living in Vancouver.  Early on, he was exposed to Jazz coming out of his father’s turntable and, of course, the popular music of the 60s.  Saskatoon being a college town, all kinds of different groups touring western Canada made stops there.  In the mid-80s, Nigel hosted the Saturday jams at Bud’s on Broadway and got to play with top Canadian Bluesmen like Amos Garrett, Brent Parkin, Big Dave MacLean and Johnny V. Mills (don’t worry, I’m unfamiliar with those names too!) as well as solid American Bluesmen like Phil Guy and Eddie Shaw, one of my all time favorites.  As Nigel recalled, “It was unbelievable.  There were great bands playing six night stands every week! Blues legends that we had only heard on records, we were suddenly hanging out and jamming with.”

Nigel, whose full last name is Mackenzie, moved his base of operations to Vancouver in the spring of 1988, establishing a strong local following as well as touring western Canada.  In 1992, keyboardist Eddie Lusk asked Nigel to perform with his band, The Professor’s Blues Revue, at the Chicago Blues Festival.  This would be the first of four times at the festival, the most of any Canadian artist.  This helped put Mack on the American map as he went on seventeen coast to coast tours of the U.S. and Canada in the next ten years, hitting most of the states and provinces with at least one European trip thrown in.

Nigel’s first CD, High Price to Pay, made entirely of original tunes, earned a nomination for Best Blues / R&B Album at the 1997 West Coast Music Awards the year after its release.  Three tunes that didn’t make that album because of size restrictions came out on the 2001 disc Road Rage, but the bulk of that album came from a November 1994 gig at Vancouver’s Yale Hotel which had been available previously only on cassette under the title 100% Live.  For that concert, made just after the band returned from a ten week tour to Chicago and back, Nigel was featured singing and playing harmonica and slide and Dobro guitars, with drummer Ed “Leadfoot” Young, bassist Keith Williamson, lead guitarist Tony Dellacroce (all three providing backing vocals) and piano and Hammond B-3 player David Webb behind him.

The third and most recent release, Devil’s Secret, again containing only original tunes, was Canada’s #1 Blues CD for 2012.  My source is not quite clear, but this honor may be based on airplay on nationwide play on the Galaxy Satellite radio system.  His music has also made it into the television soundtracks for Dawson’s Creek, The Street, and Time of Your Life.
*************************
It might have crossed your mind that Harpdog Brown was not this artist’s birth name.  As he explains in his song What’s Your Real Name, taken from the 2016 album Travelin’ with the Blues, he was playing a gig at the club Momma Gold’s in Kitsilano Beach (an area of Vancouver) in the fall of 1989 when a couple of guys in the audience began yelling “Harpdog!  Harpdog!”, and Brown found it fitting and began using it, eventually even having his name changed legally.  His friends just call him Dog.

Brown was born January 28th 1962 in Edmonton, Alberta, and was adopted by a family including his slide guitar playing mother.  Quite naturally, the guitar was his first instrument and by the age of fifteen he was playing in a garage band.  He moved on to a duo that was the opening act at comedy clubs and, in the early 80s, he signed on as vocalist in a touring band.  That gig lasted six weeks before he quit and put together his own road Blues band.

Dog put out his first album in 1993, Beware of the Dog, and his follow-up, the 1994 release Home is Where the Harp Is, earned him the Muddy Award for the Best Northwest Blues Release from Portland’s Cascade Blues Association as well as a Juno nomination for Canada’s Best Blues / Gospel Recording.  His next album was Once in a Howlin’ Moon in 2001, then his release Naturally garnered the #1 Canadian Blues Album of 2010 as voted by The Blind Lemon Survey.

All of which brings us up to the two albums we’ll be hearing today.  I would be surprised if 2014’s What It Is was not a major influence on Dog’s winning the 2015 Maple Blues Award for Harmonica Player of the Year issued by the Toronto Blues Society (which he would win again the next two years and is a nominee this year) and a 2014 Lifetime Award from the Hamilton Blues Society.  This album utilizes Dog’s normal four piece structure with John Hunter on drums, George Fenn on bass and guitarist Jordie Edmonds, who has been with the Dog since 2013 and currently.  It comprises the entire second of our three Harpdog sets and most of the first (not Sacrifice or Bring It On Home).

2016 saw Dog win Blues Artist of the Year from the Fraser Valley Music Awards and the release of Travelin’ with the Blues, recorded earlier in the year mostly at Big Jon Atkinson’s Bigtone Records in Hayward, the exceptions being a couple of numbers not included in today’s airing done at Kid Andersen’s Greaseland Studios right here in San Jose.  For these sessions Dog brought down guitarist Jordie Edmonds and bass player Pat Darcus, a regular in the band for about the last five years.  These guys were augmented by Bay Area players Jimmy Morello on drums and Carl Sonny Leyland on piano with Rusty Zinn adding extra guitar to two songs, Home is Where the Harp Is and What’s Your Real Name.  Atkinson is mostly heard playing drums but his guitar does show up on the song Sacrifice and producer Little Victor often adds his guitar work.  To close out today’s show we present to you a harp duet featuring Dog and his special guest Charlie Musselwhite.

For their California appearances (they will also play in Sacramento on Wednesday) Dog will again bring down guitarist Edmonds and add the more local rhythm section of Jimmy Morello and guitarist Rockin’ Johnny Burgin, with both Edmonds and Burgin covering the bass requirements on their guitars and alternating leads.
*************************
Brothers Tom (guitar and vocals) and Jack Lavin (bass and vocals) formed the Powder Blues Band in 1978 along with keyboardist Willie MacCalder (who also provided vocals) to play the local Vancouver clubs for a year and a half before putting out their self-financed and produced LP, Uncut, in 1979 which led to a cross Canadian tour that dipped into the States.  In time they would expand their lineup with drummer Duris Maxwell, trumpeter Mark Hasselbach and the first of three saxophonists, which included Wayne Kozak, Gordon Bertram and David Woodward, although likely not all together; at one point, drummer Bill Hicks was also in the band – my information source (Wikipedia) is a little shaky on this early band list.

In 1980, RCA distributed the debut Uncut album considerably wider, helping it to go double platinum by 1982 (over 200,000 disks sold) and the group to win a 1981 Juno Award for Most Promising Group of the Year.  The band also had a trio of singles released in 1980; Doin’ It Right climbed to #40 in Canada, Boppin’ with the Blues reached #88 there and What’ve I Been Drinking, which appears not to have charted.

The band was signed by Capitol / Liberty in time to release Thirsty Ears in 1981, which also went platinum; the title track reached #17 Canadian as a single and the 45 Lovin’ Kissin’ and Huggin’got up to #47 while Hear That Guitar Ring also hit the shelves in 1981.  The label then released the LPs Party Line in 1982 and Powder Blues in 1983.  The single Farmer John also came out in 1983, and RCA released the LP Red Hot / True Blue, making 1983 a busy year on the record front.

The band came out with Live at Montreux on Blue Wave in 1984, so obviously the band had made a European tour, and 1985 saw the release of the single I’m on the Road Again.  In 1986 Powder Blues was recognized at the American W.C. Handy Awards as the Foreign Band of the Year.  After some time away from the record bins, most likely even disassembled, the band released First Decade / Greatest Hits on WEA in 1990 and came up with Canadian gold.  WEA again released old material with a 1997 reissue of Live at Montreux on CD.

Stony Plain put out Lowell Fulson with Powder Blues in 1997, teaming a west coast American Bluesman with the west coast Canadian Blues backup band.  More recently, but still a decade ago plus, Blue Wave released two more CDs, 2002’s Swingin’ the Blues and their most recent, Blues + Jazz = BLAZZ! from 2004, with Tom Lavin being the sole early member remaining.     enjoy
*************************
Since it is still relatively new, I thought I’d mention that KKUP is now streaming on the internet and, while it is still in a developing stage, we have been putting out the word.  I’m not all of that good with high-tech stuff, but it seems pretty easy to access.  If you go to our website at KKUP.org you will see on the home page a strip of options immediately above the pictures of the musicians, the next to the last option being LISTEN ONLINE.  By clicking this, it brings up a choice of desktop or mobile.  I can only speak for the desktop but after maybe a minute I was receiving a crystal clear feed.  As already mentioned, this is still a work in progress and we are currently limited to a finite number of listeners at any one time.  I mention this so you will be aware to turn off the application when you are not actually listening.  (I put the player in my favorites bar for the easiest of access.)  Now we can reach our listeners in Los Gatos and Palo Alto, even my family in Canada.  Let your friends elsewhere know they can now listen to your favorite station, and while they have the home page open they can check out our schedule.
*************************
You Don’t Love Me
I Want to be Loved
500 Yards of Paradise
Don’t You Know That I Love You
   Nigel Mack and the Blues Attack   19mins

Whiskey Bottle
If You Wanna Grow Old
Sacrifice
Headin’ Out
Bring it on Home
How Come
   Harpdog Brown   25min

Rock ‘n’ Roll Man
B.B. Be Gone
Close to You
My Guitar’s My Only Friend
Party All Night, Sleep All Day
   Powder Blues   19mins

It’s the Night
The Sky is Crying
Who
   Nigel Mack and the Blues Attack   19mins

All Night Boogie
Big Rockin’ Daddy
Cheatin’ and Lyin’
Blue Lights
No Money in the Till
What it Is
   Harpdog Brown   24mins

Whole Lotta Lovin’
Blame It on the Blues
The Days Are Few
Let’s Get Loose
Disappearin’ Baby Blues
Shiftless
You Don’t Know Me
   Powder Blues   21mins

Another Fool Like Me
Fine Little Girl Rag
Home is Where the Heart Is
Hayward Boogie
What’s Your Real Name
Cloud Full of Rain
Moose on the Loose
   Harpdog Brown   31mins

No comments:

Post a Comment