February 27, 2018

Key to the Highway                 
2018-02-28      2-5pm                    

Eddie Shaw with:             
Magic Sam
Jimmy Dawkins
Howlin’ Wolf
*************************
I intended to air this show two weeks ago but ran into last minute technical difficulties (essentially, my computer crashed).  For that show, I pulled out the discs from my 2016 Mardi Gras show and basically rebroadcast the music and I will likely take similar action when I don’t have time to write a blog, especially now with baseball season looming.  I love MLB.com, but three hours a day can eat up a lot of my free time!

I apologize if at times this essay seems more about me, but it is a story with a lot of personal context.
*************************
 The last of my heroes is gone.  I am ashamed that I did not get around to writing this before he passed away so Johnnie Cozmik could get it to him in order to make sure he knew how much he was appreciated (probably more for my benefit than his), but I was afraid I would not do him justice and just kept pushing it down the road.  Tenor sax man, occasional harmonica man, singer, songwriter, bandleader, night club owner . . .  There was not much in the world of Blues that Eddie Shaw could not do.

Eddie was born March 20th 1937 in Benoit, Mississippi but grew up in nearby Greenville, attending Coleman High School, where he became friends with fellow horn player Oliver Sain.  The pair played the schools and dances as well as the night club scene, eventually moving around the Delta in bands like Ike Turner’s and Guitar Slim’s.  They also played with Sain’s guitar playing step-father Willie Love, and guitarists Little Milton and Charles Booker.

It was in 1957 in Itta Bena that Eddie sat in with Muddy Waters, who immediately hired him and took him to Chicago.  He had been mostly playing in Jump Blues groups with multiple horns (Eddie had played clarinet and trombone in high school before taking on tenor saxophone), but Chicago was forging a new style of amplified Blues where he was usually the sole horn man in the band.  He would spend a few months with Muddy, then a few with Howlin’ Wolf before a stay back in Greenville, but it wasn’t long before he was back in Chicago for good.

Back in the Windy City, he returned to Wolf’s band (or Muddy’s according to a second source) for a couple of years, then to the group of Otis Rush.  During the 60s, he could most often be found on the West Side with Magic Sam, but he had no problem finding bands in need of a sax man whenever Sam’s schedule had gaps.  He also occasionally fronted a band on his own and even went in to the studio, making discs specifically for local jukebox play.  One such recording, the instrumental Blues for the West Side, was received well in the area when it was released on the Colt label, later to appear on Delmark’s Sweet Home Chicago LP and on today’s show.  He also recorded in sessions for Sam, Freddie King (I wish I had access to that date) and Jimmy “Fast Fingers” Dawkins, wrote songs, and provided arrangements for Muddy and Wolf.

Eddie also ran various businesses; an air conditioning and refrigeration service, a laundromat, and a barbecue joint.  But his biggest thing was Eddie’s Place (formerly the 1815 Club) where you could find acts like Wolf, Otis Rush, Luther Allison, James Cotton, Jimmy Reed, etc., and his Monday night jam sessions became well respected around Chicago.

Eddie rejoined Howlin’ Wolf in 1972, eventually becoming his trusted bandleader.  Although he remained until Wolf passed away, he really didn’t record much with him.  The best example is the 1972 LP Live and Cookin’ at Alice’s Revisited.  Before Wolf died in 1976, he let Eddie know he wanted him to carry on the legacy of the Wolfgang, which Eddie maintained for a few decades, particularly keeping Wolf’s longtime guitarist Hubert Sumlin.

In 1977, the first Wolfgang album led by Eddie was Have Blues, Will Travel for the Simmons label.  The next year, the band was chosen by Alligator Records as one of eighteen nationally unknown groups to represent Chicago on their 4CD Living Chicago Blues series.

1982 saw the release of Movin’ and Groovin’ Man on the European Evidence label followed by two Rooster Blues LPs, 1986’s King of the Road and 1992’s In the Land of the Crossroads, one of which was a re-issue of the debut Simmons session.  Beginning in 1994 Eddie and the Wolfgang put out an album a year for Wolf -- Trail of Tears, Home Alone, and The Blues is Nothing But Good News.  A year later, in 1997, came a triumphant return to Delmark with Can’t Stop Now, then winding up with a fourth disc for the Austrian Wolf label, 1999’s Too Many Highways.  2005 saw Give Me Time come out on Wolf and in 2012 he released Still Riding High.

Eddie won the 2013 and 2014 Blues Music Awards for best horn player, and May 3rd has been declared Eddie Shaw Day in Chicago.

I also bought a couple of his CDs that Eddie put out presumably to enhance his live appearances as well as one by his son Eddie Vaan Shaw.  It was Magic Sam who first got Vaan interested in guitar with further exposure from his father’s Blues giant friends, the cream of the Chicago crop.  He would play rhythm guitar at Eddie’s Place behind performances by Hound Dog Taylor, Freddie King, Otis Rush, Jimmy Reed or his long time lead guitarist Eddie Taylor, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor and Albert Collins, to name a few.

Vaan has toured with Son Seals, Junior Wells and Hubert Sumlin as he played much of North America, Europe and around the Mediterranean.  In addition to his appearance on twelve of his father’s CDs, he has also recorded with Booba Barnes, Pinetop Perkins and on a tribute disc to Magic Sam which, I believe, also featured Eddie on five tracks.  Vaan appeared on at least one of Eddie’s Bay Area tours and also has two CDs released by Wolf.  When you see him play, likely the strongest visual effect would be the three necked guitar he built himself.

Johnnie booked his J.C. Smith Band with Eddie and his Chicago Blues All Stars into the Villa Montalvo Carriage House at least three times, including one time with Hubert Sumlin, and one year set me up with an interview in Eddie’s hotel room before the gig.  It was great!  Eddie gave me his full career rundown and a bunch of interesting sidelights, but the tiny tape recorder I got specifically for the occasion failed to take, though I do remember he mentioned his other son, Stan, was working on a musical documentary of him at the time.  I never did hear how that turned out.

Before turning to acting, Stan was a black belt instructor in Karate, Judo and Jujutsu.  He began on stage in Chicago and later made it to Broadway, but appears to have had his most work acting on the big screen.  A long list of his movies and roles can be found on his Wikipedia entry, but most noteworthy to me (not a big cinema fan) would be his 1976 role as Esquire Joe Calloway in The Bingo Long Travelling All-Stars & Motor Kings (I am a big baseball fan), as Dipper in the first Rocky film the same year and his 1979 characterization of Will Palmer, Alex Haley’s grandfather in Roots: The Next Generation, with the list continuing through 2017.  He has appeared in several television show episodes and was a regular in the 1983 series The Mississippi as well as playing Isaac in the Civil War miniseries North and South.  Needless to say, Eddie was very proud of both his sons and all of his many children.

I was extremely fortunate to have met the man on several occasions, the first time being in 1971 when Guitar Player Magazine asked me to do an interview with Howlin’ Wolf at Berkeley’s Greek Theater, a billing he shared with, of all people, Alice Cooper.  I was barely 21 and nowhere near being a journalist, but I had been jamming with Jim Crockett (who was pretty much in charge of the publication and would be for decades) and staff writer Michael Brooks back when the magazine was located in Los Gatos and they thought I was up to the task.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained type of thing, I guess.

I remember on the ride up there, my friend had just gotten an eight-track of the Layla album, and listening to it reminded me that Eric Clapton had performed on Wolf’s most recent release, London Sessions, along with Stevie Winwood, Rolling Stones Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts, and Americans Lafayette Leake and Wolf’s longtime guitarist Hubert Sumlin, and wouldn’t it be cool if that could be the lineup backing Wolf on this occasion.  Of course I knew this was not going to happen but, when I discovered that Eddie Shaw was leading Wolf’s backup ensemble, there was no disappointment whatsoever.

I was so in awe of the Wolf, reportedly 6’6” but seemingly even taller as he stood a full head above me at 5’11”, and the creator of so much of my favorite music, that it was no wonder I was intimidated after a few moments with him.  There is so much that is laughable now, like that I didn’t know how things worked and had left the reel to reel tape recorder (back then, they were about the size of a small suitcase and very heavy) in the car.  When I returned backstage with the machine, Wolf was a little standoffish but Mister Shaw kindly took me over to a corner and we had a wonderful time chatting the Blues.  I like to think he enjoyed it almost as much as I did because, despite my youth, I was clearly aware of his work as a sideman recording with Magic Sam and Jimmy Dawkins.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I’m on my way to the Oakland airport with Johnnie Cozmik to pick up Eddie and John Primer.  Primer was just as much a gentleman as Eddie, even saying he remembered me from before.  I had seen him once at the Mountain View JJ’s when he was with Magic Slim and the Teardrops but I’d like to think that rather than being confused he was just being polite.  We went over to San Francisco for lunch and I am thinking we went back to San Jose before heading back to the city and Biscuits and Blues.

It was with Johnnie and Eddie that I got my only taste of the working musician’s road trip.  Johnnie had set up a Friday night gig for two shows at Biscuits and Blues in San Francisco.  I was their guest and I hung out in the dressing room with them between shows while taking a seat at the bar to catch the act.  A nice start.  Then we packed up the gear and hit the road for Merced. As a night cab driver, I was the natural choice to drive one of the cars and as my reward Eddie was my shotgun passenger.  A great time talking for a few hours, but when we got into town at some hellacious hour the rooms at the motel booked for our stay would not be vacated until 10AM or noon, something like that, so Johnnie had to scramble to find a way for us all to crash for a handful of hours.

A place with about a half dozen rooms was procured and I was paired up with Johnnie’s roadie, Benny Mendez, which was cool with me because Benny was also my best friend until he passed away.  It seemed like I had just gotten to sleep when it was time to get up and move to the other motel, and it wasn’t long after that we had to wake up and head to the fairgrounds for an afternoon performance at the Merced Blues Festival. 

Benny and I rode over with bass player Jake Sampson and, as I recall, the J.C. Smith Band for that weekend also consisted of pianist Steve Dore, saxman Abraham Vasquez and Dennis Dove on drums.  They opened up with a set and then became part of Eddie Shaw’s Chicago Blues All Stars.  Johnnie stepped back from center stage and let Chicago guitarist Mike Wheeler and, of course, Eddie get their licks in.  The show was great but what I will always recall was, before they started, Eddie was holding court at a picnic table behind the stage with all the guys paying rapt attention as Mr. Shaw regaled them with tales about the greats from Chicago’s Blues heyday.  Man, I wish I could have recorded that!

After another pack up, it was off to a night club in town for a third gig in about thirty hours.  Now, my normal sleeping hours were afternoons, but in spite of the broken sleep that morning I was able to survive pretty well at the festival, then it all hit me once I was able to sit down at the club.  There was almost a separate little room between the band and the back door so Benny stepped outside a couple of times to smoke a joint, then came back in and laughed at me just zombieing out.  I don’t think I went out front to watch the band all night.  I hope this wasn’t a typical road trip, though I might try it again under the right circumstances, but it sure felt good to get home.

I am not big on having my music autographed; sure, when a band would turn me on to a CD, it was nice of them to sign it (particularly a John Lee Hooker scribble on a disc by Michael Osborn to which he contributed), but I only have one LP with an autograph and that is Magic Sam’s second Delmark release, Black Magic from 1968, to me an improvement over his first which won album of the year honors (Delmark’s second consecutive award after Junior Wells’ Hoodoo Man Blues) because it added the sax of Eddie Shaw and Lafayette Leake’s piano.  To this day, I cannot think of any album I prefer to it and one of my two vinyl issues (of course, I have it on CD as well) is enhanced by a simple “Eddie Shaw” inscribed on the front cover.  We open up today’s show with much of the album. 

Johnnie is one of those people it is almost impossible to not like, and he and Eddie became good friends, so it was with heavy heart that I laid down the phone after his call to let me know of Eddie’s passing on Monday, January 29th. 

About the music:  It was a bit difficult making the selections from Eddie’s sideman recordings with the goal of showing his talents to the maximum because, as should be expected, his role in the recordings should never overshadow that of the titled artist and is somewhat buried in the tracks.  We had already presented Magic Sam’s Black Magic and Jimmy Dawkins’ Fast Fingers albums in earlier airings so the lead artists were not what would make the choices, instead the tracks where Eddie was given the most room, while still formulating the sets as normal.

We open with two 1966 instrumentals from Delmark’s Sweet Home Chicago anthology album, which credit Eddie as leader of the group which also featured Sam’s guitar work and the rhythm section of Bob Ritchie on drums and Mack Thompson playing bass.  The rest of the first set comes from Sam’s Black Magic, released in the month before his death on December 1st 1969, with the exceptions of I Feel So Good and Lookin’ Good, which were first done for the 1967 West Side Soul album but rerecorded with Eddie’s saxophone and presented on the posthumous Magic Sam Legacy album.

Eddie is heard front and center on Can’t Stop Now, another Delmark disc, recorded in December 1996 and showcasing Eddie’s vocals backed by drummer Tim Taylor, son of the great guitarist Eddie Taylor who was best known for his work behind almost all of Jimmy Reed’s recordings, bassist Lafayette “Shorty” Gilbert, and Detroit Junior on piano.  By this time, Vaan had taken a firm hold on the guitar duties.

Keeping the first half of the show culled from Delmark releases, our third set comes from Dawkins’ debut 1969 Fast Fingers LP.  Like Black Magic, it includes Shaw, pianist Lafayette Leake and Sam’s second guitarist Mighty Joe Young, and these three are the reason I took a chance on the LP unheard so long ago.  Odie Payne, Jr. and Mack Thompson played drums and bass respectively on Sam’s LP, but I do not have the info handy on Dawkins’ rhythm section.

We move along to Papa Told Me, the live 2001 album which still features Vaan, Taylor and Gilbert as the Wolfgang ensemble.  We wind up this set with Eddie playing harmonica on Sonny Boy Williamson II’s classic Don’t Start Me Talking before hearing Wolf play the instrument (which he learned to play from the same Sonny Boy) throughout our next set from the 1972 Chess album Live and Cookin’ at Alice’s Revisited.  Besides Eddie backing up Wolf’s vocals are a pair of members of the Aces, drummer Fred Below and bass player Dave Myers, Sunnyland Slim on piano, and guitarists Hubert Sumlin and L.V. Williams.

Sumlin remained with the Wolfgang a couple of years after Eddie fronted the band for the fine Alligator series Living Chicago Blues set, which also included drummer Chico Chism, bass player Lafayette “Shorty” Gilbert, and keyboardist Johnny “Big Moose” Walker on the short set that closes out today’s program.  It is all good music but, today, please pay special attention to the saxophone and the man behind it.   enjoy
*************************
Since it is still relatively new, I thought I’d mention that KKUP is now streaming on the internet and, while it is still in a developing stage, we have been putting out the word.  I’m not all of that good with high-tech stuff, but it seems pretty easy to access.  If you go to our website at KKUP.org you will see on the home page a strip of options immediately above the pictures of the musicians the next to the last option being LISTEN ONLINE.  By clicking this, it brings up a choice of desktop or mobile.  I can only speak for the desktop but after maybe a minute I was receiving a crystal clear feed.  As already mentioned, this is still a work in progress and we are currently limited to a finite number of listeners at any one time.  I mention this so you will be aware to turn off the application when you are not actually listening.  (I put the player in my favorites bar for the easiest of access.)  Now we can reach our listeners in Los Gatos and Palo Alto, even my family in Canada.  Let your friends elsewhere know they can now listen to your favorite station, and while they have the home page open they can check out our schedule.
*************************
Riding High
Blues for the West Side
I Just Want a Little Bit
I Feel So Good
You Don’t Love Me, Baby
Keep Loving Me Baby
Lookin’ Good
   Magic Sam   21mins

Greedy Man
Can’t Stop Now
Playing with the Blues
Howlin’ for My Darlin’
We’re Gonna Make It
I Gotta Tell Somebody
Rockin’ with Eddie
   Eddie Shaw and the Wolf Gang   28mins

It Serves Me Right to Suffer
Breaking Down
I Wonder Why
Triple Trebles
Little Angel Child
You Got to Keep Trying
Night Rock
   Jimmy “Fast Fingers” Dawkins   23mins

For You My Love
Operator
Mister West Side
Stranded on the Highway
Hurts Me Too
Don’t Start Me Talking
   Eddie Shaw and the Wolf Gang   28mins

Mister Airplane Man
I Didn’t Know
Mean Mistreater
I Had a Dream
Don’t Laugh at Me
Just Passing By
   Howlin’ Wolf   35mins

It’s Alright
Out of Bad Luck
Stoop Down Baby
Sitting On Top of the World
My Baby’s So Ugly
   Eddie Shaw and the Wolf Gang   17mins

No comments:

Post a Comment